Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Where you are when you are who you are.

Mark and I are meeting for coffee tomorrow, and the old me has emerged to work against myself in the midst of anticipating it, even though it's just coffee.

Noting what I was doing, Mark told me to not freak out or apologize anymore, be myself ... and relax.

When my immediate reaction was to say, "I don't relax," I realized that I'd somehow managed to lose sight of who I was in London. Who I am when I don't worry.

So, strangely, I went back and read "Consider Yourself," my OWN essay on the topic that I wrote when I was in London. And I found comfort from myself.

Then, I wrote Mark this:

I don't really feel like myself since I came back, which is more than a little bit maddening, and I didn't mean for my frustrations and insecurities to be obvious to you.

I get nervous. Even small things make me nervous. This debate goes on inside my head. And I obsess over stuff.

In London, I was different. If I wanted to do something, I did it. If I wanted to talk to someone, I spoke to them. I wasn't worried or intimidated or apologetic. Frankly, I found myself to be cooler there.

Now, I come back here and again feel like I don't fit. Or that I'm trying too hard. And people poke fun at me, and I don't relax about it. Or I remember my high school awkwardness or my college awkwardness.

I'm a really smart guy, I guess, but it drives me kinda nuts. Being back here after feeling better about myself somewhere else. Not knowing where I stand. Trying to meet new people on my own.

But I want to get back to who I was there. Even though I was only gone for a week.

It's not been an easy time for me, though it's not been a bad time ... and it's been a breeze compared to the week you've been having.

Tell me how you're doing. I haven't asked today.


Mark wrote back that I just need to ask myself, "Do I want to trust my process or someone else's?"

Apparently, this is a theme of his, for that's the name of his blog.

So I'm going to slow down, take a moment to breathe, trust my own process and be fine.

No comments: