Friday, April 30, 2004

It's all good.



Random thoughts at the end of a good evening

I get paid the next time I go to work. Both jobs. So I'll get my usual sum from the publishing company. And maybe I'll get enough from the bookstore to fund popcorn and a Diet Coke at the movies.

***

I'm listening to Liz Phair music from her sexy bitch period and a geek-rock song called "Reconstruction Site" that was on a free CD. It's by this band called the Weakerthans, a band I've never heard of before but, for some reason, this song is so nuts that it's like my theme song. More my theme song than Ben Folds' "There's Always Someone Cooler than You." A temporary replacement for my usual theme song, Josh Joplin Group's "I Am Not the Only Cowboy."

I wish I had my own TV show sometimes.

My life would be way more interesting if I had a staff of writers.

***

One time, when I was walking through the Gwinnett Place Parisian with my friend Vic, I pulled her into an impromptu swing dance routine in Men's Wear. On one of the more complicated twirls, I accidentally tripped her, and she fell in the middle of the aisle. I felt bad, but I couldn't express my regret to her because I was laughing entirely too hard.

***

Weezer's song "The World Has Turned and Left Me" reminds me of my two-week affair with Welsh Guy. It's my official travel theme song.

Wait, no, it's not.

It's the song that makes me think of the best lover I ever had.

Damn it. Where is he?

***

It's late, but I'm wired. I had coffee with fellow bloggers Kurt and Mark tonight, whose kickass personalities were nothing like my own, and it was a lot of fun.

I was, surprisingly, relatively quiet through the whole thing.

I did stand up at one point and tell the story of my redneck stepfather's appearance on the 6 o' clock news - true story - when I was in the eighth grade.

He and my mother had witnessed a fatal helicopter crash at Lake Lanier, which isn't actually funny.

But my stepfather's eyewitness account of it, which is burned into my memory, is hilarious.

Seeing my account of the incident, Mark told me that I needed to take it on tour. I think he was being sarcastic. Maybe.

Kurt told me I reminded him of David Sedaris. Ah, flattery.

***



I'm listening to "If You Leave." Jenipher says it's one of the few songs you can actually do the "Molly Ringwald" to.

The Molly Ringwald is that kick dance that its namesake did on the library steps in that scene of THE BREAKFAST CLUB.

Jenipher can do it.

I want to do the Snoopy Dance.

***

I met Sedaris once. Lupo and I went to a reading, and he signed a book I got my hetero friend Doug, another blogger, as a gift.

He signed it,

"To Doug:

Everyone thinks you're gay.

David Sedaris"


Dougie was very happy about that. He showed it to his mom.

***

Ric Ocasek is considered geek rock, right? I'm making a RealPlayer playlist.

In the '80s, I actually wondered if my family was related to The Cars. I was 6.

***

In my three-and-a-half years of college, I had 14 roommates. (Get me drunk, and I can name all of them, even the Korean ones.)

One of the best ones was named Tommy. He was nice. He stayed on the top bunk and only once complained to me about how often I jacked off, even though it shook him awake all the time. (OK, that was too much information, but, whatever, it's late. And, in my defense, how else was I gonna get to sleep?)

Tommy's the one who got me hooked on DAYS OF OUR LIVES in college, even though I was trying to break away from its evil influence and mature. Tommy would record it and reruns of THE GOLDEN GIRLS everyday and force me to watch it before we went to sleep. (OK, maybe "force" is the wrong word.)

That was when DAYS had Marlena possessed by the devil, an illusion accomplished through bad special effects and having Deidre Hall wear green contact lenses.



So, for those of you who think I'm way too melodramatic, blame my family. And blame Tommy.

"It's all good" is what he used to tell me every time I freaked out, which was often. By the end of the quarter, I had more than a small crush on him, even though he told me he wasn't gay - which I'm not sure I believe in retrospect. (Come on, reruns of THE GOLDEN GIRLS??? How straight can he be???)

I wonder whatever happened to him, even though I'm afraid of what he must've told people about my sleeping habits.

***

I feel better than I did earlier this week.

***

I'm listening to Ben Folds now. I love Ben Folds.

No comments: