Friday, April 23, 2004

Out of the ordinary.



Lunch with Dad today was unfortunately tedious. He brought me a gift certificate to AMC Theatres that he received from his company for his birthday, and he told me to use it because he wouldn't.

We went to our usual restaurant, ordered our usual food from our usual waitress and sat, mostly in silence, not talking about much.

So I turned the talk to politics early, thinking that might spur him to chat. And it did, a little. But he didn't want to voice disagreement with me, and I didn't want to sound like I was deliberately antagonizing him.

So then we talked about sports. And we watched a baseball mid-game fistfight on ESPN. And a piece on CNN about an NFL player killed while serving in Iraq.

And then talk turned back to politics.

Until we stopped talking again. And he watched golf on one TV, and I watched the beginning of "All My Children" on another.

He asked me where I planned to take my next trip. I talked about meeting up with Miss Gibson again and heading with her to Paris, an idea I came up with while visiting the Waterloo Station a couple weeks ago that I haven't mentioned to anybody yet.

He told me he was going to Key West in August. And he told me that I should come see his new dog soon.

We were talking in these disjointed statements that led nowhere. It was a little depressing, I guess, but it's one of those days where I'm talking even though I don't really have a damn thing to say.

Last night, talking with Black, I spoke of how it's sometimes healthy if you go against your norm and attempt to shake up your own life.

Yesterday, I told people that, for some reason, I had the urge to go to an amusement park and behave like a 14-year-old. People told me that sounded like fun.

Sometimes, I really miss fun.

No comments: