Monday, August 18, 2003

What to get the person who doesn't want a thing.

I just got Vic a cookie for her birthday. When they asked me what message I wanted to put on it, I told the lady on the phone that I had no idea and felt silly. It's hokey to get the cookie. (I realize that's part of the charm of it. It'd be like renting "The Real Cancun" for us to watch. Hey, that's an idea.)

Vic hates gifts, I said to the lady on the phone who likely couldn't give a damn.

Seriously, she hates gifts. She says they make her feel indebted.

She just suggested that I put "Happy 27th Birthday, (your name here)!" on it. But considering the odd way Vic spells her full name, "Vickye," I decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to put her name on the cookie, lest those Rhodes Scholars at the Great American Cookie Company get befuddled with written frosting.

The message I settled on is:

"I GOT YOU THIS INSTEAD OF A GIFT"

I think it works.

The Pack n' Party begins at my house at 8. My two favorite guests are going to be there, and we shall sit on my mom's old leather couches - which are now mine.

No comments: