Friday, August 29, 2003

The trouble with "Lions."



Oh, and what's up with the preview for Secondhand Lions, the new film with Robert Duvall, Haley Joel Osment and Michael Caine? I mean, I know it's a family movie, but, from what I'd read about it while it was being made, I expected it to be really, really good. I mean, the director wrote the screenplay for "The Iron Giant," which is a great movie, and the script for "Secondhand Lions" was supposedly one of those so-good-it'll-never-get-made projects that was batted around Hollywood for years and years.

But the trailer for it, featuring Osment in the squeaky odd stages of an adolescent voice change, looks downright atrocious. I mean, it's as though someone tried to piece together the most low-level humor parts of it, making it look like some sort of homespun hick comedy.

I was expecting something enchanted, like "Edward Scissorhands." Sadly, "Secondhand Lions" looks like garbage.

If it wasn't for that damn ad for "Radio" with Cuba Gooding Jr., I'd say "Secondhand Lions" has the worst trailer currently running in theaters.

No comments: