Thursday, August 28, 2003

A betrayal of my own sensibilities.



The devil, I mean Cable TV, will arrive at my new apartment next Saturday to install a basic, Soapnet-less package for my use and enjoyment.

I figured if I was going to have a place that I expected people to visit and enjoy, I was going to have to buckle down and buy cable, though I didn't get digital or high-speed Internet.

I feel bad, as though I've somehow gone against my own principles. I feel as though I've betrayed all those soap characters I've come to know and love, treating them as they're just inconsequential when it comes to the day in-day out process of my life.

It's as if I'm saying to all those people I've gotten to know in Pine Valley and Llanview, "Oops, I'm sorry, but your problems are no longer my problems anymore. Sorry, Erica Kane, but I no longer care if you and Jack ever make it to the altar. Sorry, Bianca, but I don't care if you're now a raped and pregnant lesbian living through daily doses of hell! I just figured it was best if I watched QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY instead."

I make myself sick sometimes.

No comments: