Monday, August 18, 2003

One of my failings.

I own too many books. This is something I already knew, yet it always hits me when I move that I only read 10 percent of the books I own. The last book I seriously read, though I have gotten loads of books since it, was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. That one was 870 pages long, yet simply written, whereas I can't get into Catch-22 no matter how many times I try. I have yet to read anything by Walker Percy despite numerous attempts to get into his work, though I love his basic philosophies and ideas.

Vic tells me that I'm not a deep reader. I pick deep movies but cannot do deep books. When she says that to me, I envy her reading speed and capacity to take on difficult literature. I wish I could accomplish more difficult books.

I feel like, as a bookseller, I'm failing my customers. I feel, as a writer, that I'm failing to learn. It's annoying.

Why can't I do just one Dostoevsky?

No comments: