Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Hitch.



Though I said I wouldn't talk so much about movies, it turns out that I was wrong. Today's a distinctly movie day because, in addition to yesterday's release of that new DVD edition of Casablanca featuring deleted scenes, today's the birthday of the Master of Suspense.

My favorite movie of his is, of course, Rebecca, for entirely subjective reasons. (Mostly because it's a very good movie, has staying power and is creepy and psychological. But also because, when others name their Hitch favorites, few name "Rebecca.")

Kacoon and I were talking a couple days ago about Hitchcock, though, and we mentioned that some of our favorite works of his were actually on his anthology television show, ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS.

The best episode of that show, in my opinion, was "Lamb to the Slaughter," starring Barbara Bel Geddes as a woman who murders her philandering husband by beating him over the head with a frozen leg of lamb. Then, she cooks the dish and serves it up to unsuspecting homicide detectives looking for the murder weapon.

I caught the episode once on Nick at Nite, and I think they're rebroadcast on TV Land sometimes. Also, that one may be on video. I highly recommend tracking it down.

No comments: