Thursday, August 14, 2003

I'm bummed. The summer movies sucked.



Kacoon and I, I believe, are going to finally catch Dirty Pretty Things tonight at the Tara. It's a Stephen Frears film with Audrey Tautou in it, and the reviews, though not great, have been solid. It should be interesting. It's supposed to be thriller-ish without being a thriller. Hell, at this point, I'd be happy with a decent summer movie. I've only seen a handful of them this year.

I miss good movies.

Kacoon and I could either see "Dirty Pretty Things" or that Colin Farrell movie SWAT. And I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing that. I'd rather watch Gigli than SWAT. (No, I've not seen "Gigli," for Kacoon said it wasn't even worth giving it money to see how bad it was. And she and I went to see Crossroads, so it's not like we're picky.)

Too many movies came out this summer, and none of them have been very good. I'm confused about all this. Used to be, a film opening at #1 or grossing $100 million meant that it was a hit. Now, you're lucky if $100 million in profits will help you break even. And how can you expect to make a lot of money on a movie if you rush it into theaters at low quality and then rush it out of theaters when the next behemoth of a blockbuster comes out.

Kacoon's been mad at me since May when I saw The Matrix Reloaded three times, then called it bad, pretentious, hard-to-follow and annoying, but it seems as though history's being written on it by people like me, who were disappointed. Kacoon still loves "The Matrix Reloaded" beyond all reason.

Though I wasn't surprised by how good Finding Nemo was, I didn't expect Freaky Friday to be one of the best movies of the summer. That shows you how bad this summer has been.

That Zion dance scene still appears in my nightmares.

No comments: