Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Lupo: An American Boy Watches TV.



On Wednesdays, Lupo and I usually dissect the previous night's episode of GILMORE GIRLS, which has become our latest mutual-favorite show.

But, since it's not The WB tonight, Lupo e-mailed me with an alternate suggestion.

I've italicized Lupo's e-mails in the following exchange:
_____

LUPO: Since there is no GILMORE GIRLS tonight (though there is one this afternoon, in which Emily and Lorelai go to a spa together), I think we should do a pretend recap of SAMANTHA: AN AMERICAN GIRL CHRISTMAS, which is taking the place of GILMORE tonight.

Sample:

My favorite part was when Samantha said, "Christmas is not a day of the year, but a wish that your heart dreams."

I also liked it when Mia Farrow, who played the rich grandmother, remarked to Samantha, "Stay away from intellectual Jewish guys with glasses."

It was okay, but it was no ABIGAIL: AN AMERICAN GIRL ARBOR DAY or KATHERINE: AN AMERICAN GIRL GOES TO THE MOON.




RILEY: I really liked the part where the beggar girl with the tousled hair looked out from her orphanage window to find that, alas, it was snowing on Christmas - and that if you truly believed in your heart, then something you wished for would come true. And I love how she wished for something cool like snow on Christmas, instead of, you know, parents or a home with heat or something.

Samantha was a true inspiration to those girls. Though I don't know if she should really kiss that boy under the mistletoe like that, for it seemed awfully forward of her and sets a bad example.

I gasped, as well, when Samantha got thrown from the horse on the country road.

My favorite part, though, was when Angus started to cry during Samantha's speech.

"Because Christmas is a time for warmth and hugs ... a time to belong."

Mia Farrow was a delight. Although it seemed jarring when she walked into that house and said, "Damn, this is no PEYTON PLACE. I'm tempted to make a deal with the devil in order to get us some better real estate, Samantha."



LUPO: You make me laugh....I especially love the part about being thrown from the horse, and Angus' tears. He was truly crusty but loveable.

....did you notice the cameo by two-time Christian music award winner Amy Grant as the fiddler's wife?

If I had to rank SAMANTHA, I would say that it was better than RACHEL: A GERMAN GIRL'S HOLOCAUST but not as good as SOPHIE: A FRENCH GIRL'S DESCENT INTO WHITE SLAVERY. I just couldn't buy Dakota Fanning's accent.

No comments: