Wednesday, November 17, 2004

The dam breaks.

I had lunch with my father yesterday, and it was not as charming and funny as it usually is. Well, it was funny when I was eating my mashed potatoes, and he kept telling me that I needed to "build a dam" for my gravy - which I think he first said to me when I was about 5. He kept looking at my food yesterday, and he said, "Oh no, it's leaking ..." over and over. Eventually, I just broke the dam.

It took a turn for the worse when Condi Rice appeared on a television to accept the nomination for Secretary of State, and my father started to talk about how the Democrats would hate that they weren't the first party to nominate an African-American woman.

He called the Republican Party the party of "tolerance and moderation," representing the values of "mainstream" America.

I got upset.

No comments: