Saturday, March 13, 2004

One sentence about my date and a TV review.



Curious about the new show "Wonderfalls" and encouraged by good reviews of it, I recorded it and the ridiculous, tacky yet strangely compelling reality show, "Playing It Straight," instead of "Joan of Arcadia" last night while I went out to dinner with Aaron.

And, of the three entertainments I just mentioned, I must say that "Wonderfalls" was better than both "Playing It Straight" and my date. (My date was fine, but he's a friend. And, beyond that, "Wonderfalls" is really, really funny.)

So I've decided to adopt "Wonderfalls" as my latest television pet cause. Much the same way I used to tout "Relativity" and "Miss Match" to strangers, I will now highly recommend the bitter, twisted comedy that apparently fuels "Wonderfalls."

The show's about a girl who hates people - yet works retail at a Niagra Falls souvenir shop. After she almost chokes to death on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the souvenirs start talking to her, encouraging to interact with people. So she reluctantly does. And she sets into motion these twisted moments of fate. (It's like "Amelie," except mean-spirited and without an apparent heart.)

Last night's episode involved a stolen purse, a misshapen lion figurine, a delivery man's food allergy, a trachaeotomy, lesbians and the history behind a human sacrifice. It was really funny.

No comments: