Monday, March 22, 2004

Choosing.

My HIGH SCHOOL REUNION fan base, all four of them, is going to kill me tomorrow because I chose to write on the blog rather than solve the murder that they've been waiting weeks for me to solve. But this is more important to me. And I can always solve the murder later.

After some serious and careful consideration, I've decided to transfer away from my job in Buford to another Barnes & Noble closer to my apartment. I've spoken with management about a possible transfer, and they are waiting for my decision. I'm going to give it to them within the week so that the necessary process can begin. I will not transfer if it means taking a cut in pay, but, other than that, I think it's time to move on to another chapter in my life.

Those of you with bigger jobs or those of you who are students or those of you who are young may not understand why I would sweat such a small decision so much. But the store has helped me a lot. It's felt like a home to me - when I didn't want to go home - in sadder times during the past four years. I feel like the store, in some ridiculous ways, "belongs" to me because I've been there so long. I remember when I'd told myself that I was going to only stay there two weeks or three weeks, until I got back on my feet. But the store changed me, and it helped me regain much of my confidence, which was dwindling after I left CNN.

Still, it's been four years. And I need to take control of this opportunity and move myself on to a different challenge.

Hopefully, everything will work out for the best. Hopefully, a new store will utilize me more than the Mall of Georgia store has been able to lately.

No comments: