Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Valentine's weekend redux.



* My first customer at the bookstore, on the day before Valentine's Day, was this 18-year-old anorexic-looking girl who asked me where the Kama Sutra books were. She wanted to surprise her boyfriend. I hate Valentine's Day. Another customer, who asked me if I was bothered by something, told me that I was too young to be so bitter about Valentine's Day. "No, I'm not," I said to her. I can be bitter if I want.

* I didn't get over my Valentine's funk until I spoke with Lupo and my friend Kate on Valentine's morning. I thanked them for helping me.

* Checking on my checking account this morning, I realized that I'd forgotten to pay my power bill. I had to make a phone call. I hate this.

* Speaking of bills, I can't figure out how to pay Dell over the Internet, rather than by check. I think the Dell payment on the Dell website ought to be easier to figure out since they're a computer company.

* Black's dating a girl who likes COLD MOUNTAIN. Apparently he told her my thoughts on the film, then backtracked on his statements when he realized that she liked the film and was getting upset about it. She says that she felt the corny, overdone romantic dialogue was suitable for characters of the time, and it was a period piece. I said to Black, "Yes, but the film is made for modern audiences who are more aware of cliches." I told Black that, though this girl may otherwise be terrific, her COLD MOUNTAIN defenses were weak. Marley told me that she liked COLD MOUNTAIN and that, if I were a girl, I would like it better, too. Kacoon, a girl, hated COLD MOUNTAIN and thought the romantic dialogue and cheesy storyline were bullshit. So I'm willing to bet that I'm right.

* Marley and I broke our bad movie streak on Sunday by going to see the surprisingly entertaining 50 FIRST DATES, which was quite good. Someone brought a screaming two-year-old into the theater, and Marley and I complained after the movie. We got readmission passes to another show. On Valentine's Day, Marley and I attempted to cook chicken and pasta, which was a success (though Marley did not share my penchant for orange bell peppers). After dinner, Marley and I watched this Woody Allen movie, ANYTHING ELSE, which was an absolute piece of garbage. Then, to try and recover, we watched this Disney-produced film called THE OTHER SIDE OF HEAVEN with Anne Hathaway. Marley, who rented it, didn't realize it was a religious film until I told her that it was about Mormon missionaries. When one of the missionaries healed a dead child through prayer, Marley turned off the movie in frustration.

* I had Presidents Day off at my office, so I used the free day to get a shift at the bookstore. I don't think I'm a workaholic.

* Steven called me last night, but I was on the phone with Nick the cute waiter and didn't talk to Steven for very long. Steven told me that he wanted to get together this week. I was iffy about that suggestion, for I'm mad at Steven still. When I called Nick back, he told me not to go on a date with Steven but to instead tell him that I had another date planned - with Nick. I asked Nick, as friends, to hang out this week, and we're doing something on Thursday. It's not a date - but, if Steven asks, oh, it's so a date. Nick and I, in our respective apartments, watched our "Legally Blonde" DVDs simultaneously last night and stayed on the phone all during the film. I've not done that in a while. It was fun.

* At the mall on Sunday, these three cute guys were walking together, looking around at people. One of them looked at me, smiled and said, "Hello." So I said hi back to him. Then, he paused and asked me if I could answer a few questions, and he pulled one of those religious flyers out of a hidden handful that he had. He was going to ask me if I knew Christ. I said, "OH NOOOO ...," and I walked away from him. As I escaped, he told me to have a "God blessed day." I went to the security kiosk and turned the guys in for soliciting on private property. That was fun.

No comments: