Thursday, February 12, 2004

Previously on "Life of Riley McCarthy" ...

Kacoon just wrote me to ask how my date with Steven last night went. Then, when I told her that it was a bust, she asked me who Steven was.

I never told her. I've not spoken to her extensively for two weeks. The last time she spoke to me before yesterday, we went to dinner with Marley, and I told her that my biggest woe was that a straight friend said he was attracted to me.

I feel like my life's a television show, and Kacoon missed a couple episodes.

So, in the spirit of the my-life-as-television-show nature of this blog, I will give you another update about plot and characters - as they relate to me, without spilling their secrets or elaborating on events that they could better explain.

* Me. Since Christmas, I have faced and essentially solved some problems that I was having at my office. I also began writing another season of my hit "series" about a high school reunion reality show for friends of mine. I also had brake trouble fixed, and the repairs left me in financial trouble, and I am slowly recovering from that. I got my passport and leave for London in a month-and-a-half to visit Miss Gibson. On the romantic front, I mildly kissed a guy named Van one night when he needed a ride home. A week or so later, I freaked out when a heterosexual male friend of mine told me that my personality was "attractive," thinking that maybe he meant something deeper than that. That clarified after a couple chats with the heterosexual, who's a great guy, and I met Steven at a bar when I was out with my friends Larry and David. I went home with him that night. Since then, Steven and I played phone tag for two weeks while he kept delaying possible meetings and dates with me. Then, yesterday, I got upset with him when he delayed another date with me. I do not intend to go out on a date with him now.

* Marley. Meeting this kickass, amazing new girl at a screening of "Monster," I have since seen her about once a week. She's an aspiring screenwriter, who began her own blog after reading mine, and she went to Park City for the Sundance Film Festival at the end of January. She and Kacoon met when they both joined me for dinner. We've attended multiple screenings together since I joined the Peachtree Film Society, and she's given me a byline credit on her latest short-film screenplay. Though we once discussed a drive-in trip, she and I now intend to spend Valentine's Day together watching DVDs and having dinner at her apartment.

* Kacoon. I've missed communicating with her for a couple weeks, but, as of our last conversation, she'd begun her new job with Chapter 11 Bookstore, and it was going well. She's full-time there, which helps her family out more. She loves her apartment, which she shares with her husband Mike, son Midget and mother Kathy. And everything is cool, apparently, as she has started her own blog.

* Jenipher. Currently registering for wedding gifts and making other final preparations, she's still doing well at work in Illinois and preparing for her April cruise-based nuptials with Gabe. She keeps sending me plot updates for "The O.C.," so I'm assuming everything is cool.

* Lupo. Toiling in Savannah with his husband Kenn and dog Jonesy, he's narrowing topics for his doctoral dissertation. Feedback from his December exams has been exceedingly positive, and he's pleased about that. He and I are trying to stop from being in too much contact, and we're faring well with that, I believe. (We ran the risk of having the same conversation more than once a week, which was dangerous and entirely my fault.)

* Black. Still stuck at his Nashville firm, my phone-based friend Black's contacted headhunters and may be relocating soon, perhaps to Atlanta. One of the headhunters he contacted a couple weeks ago kissed him after a dinner meeting, which caused me to make fun of him for a really long time. I told him not to sleep with her unless he was sure he could be really good at it, for she may judge what positions he can fill based upon ... what positions he can fill. Thankfully, he's a good sport and still speaks to me. (At least, until he reads this ...) We're finally going to meet face-to-face, if all goes as planned, at the anniversary meeting for the Phi Kappa Literary Society, which we're both attending in Athens on February 28.

* Vic. Taking a break from dating, she's currently immersing herself in work. And she cheered me up considerably when I was feeling surprisingly lonely on Super Bowl Sunday. She remains my primary REUNION reader, giving me hints about plot and telling me which directions I should take the characters.

Tune in to this continuing blog for more drama, more heartache and more ridiculously silly and pointless narratives ...

No comments: