Thursday, July 10, 2003

I know I shouldn't be watching ALL MY CHILDREN in the first place.

Yesterday on ALL MY CHILDREN, though, something happened to the show and daytime TV's sole lesbian character which actually bothered me. Bianca, played by actress Eden Riegel, was raped.

I've been watching soaps long enough to know that rape is a pretty regular occurrence, as well as a topical issue that needs to be addressed in a public forum like television. But the rape of such a groundbreaking character, one who was only allowed her first televised kiss a couple months ago, bugs me to no end.

Why is it that it's all right for them to show scenes of a graphic rape but it's still taboo to show two same-sex characters in a loving, consensual sexual relationship?

With such a new sort of character, couldn't the writers have explored other avenues with Bianca than they usually do with other popular, high-profile soap heroines? Are they just not creative enough to come up with something that's not a cliche?

It's just a soap opera, I know, it's just a soap opera.

I have no doubt they'll handle the realistic implications behind this plot twist well, for they always do. But this really bothered me.

No comments: