Monday, July 14, 2003

28 DAYS LATER, Four years old.

Last night, Kacoon and I went to a movie. For, like, 20 minutes.

Because while we were watching the violent, graphic zombie horror film 28 DAYS LATER, which I'd seen before, a woman walked in front of us with some popcorn in her hand - and her four-year-old daughter.

It was sick. Absolutely sick.

This is a movie, appropriate for adults who understand what they're getting into, that features machete killings, massive amounts of blood, full-frontal nudity and, oh yeah, the possible end of human civilization.

I went to complain to a manager right away, but the manager, as I understood, couldn't do anything because the mother was of legal age and best determined what was all right for her daughter to see.

Kacoon has a 3-year-old boy. She couldn't do it. She couldn't sit and watch the movie because that little girl was seeing more than she should. Kacoon knew, because of what I told her, that the violent-from-the-start movie was only going to get worse.

We tried to think of ways we could actually approach this woman about what she was doing wrong.

I thought of offering to refund her ticket myself. Kacoon said she was thinking of going up and offering to babysit, but she said she couldn't bring herself to talk to the woman because she would end up calling her angry names.

Someone told me that there are worse things a child can go through than watching a graphic movie. I replied to him that he was right, worse things do happen.

But I can't do anything about all the horrible things that people do to children. I know they happen. I know they happened to me. I know you can't see everything and stop everything.

But, in just the case of this little girl and that movie theater, I felt like there was something more that I could've done, but we left the movie because we couldn't enjoy ourselves due to our thoughts about the girl.

I'm not prudish. I don't believe in censorship. I think the MPAA ratings are messed up in how they're managed and executed by theaters.

But what I saw last night was a parent subjecting her child to a barrage of inappropriate images. And, instead of protecting a child, she ate popcorn.

No comments: