Friday, December 24, 2004

Merry Christmas.

I sent out this sentiment to some friends yesterday, and writing it cheered me up. I thought it might help some random stranger (or someone pretending to be Kevin Smith on the comment board).

Do whatever necessary to get yourself in the proper mood for the holidays.

Watch the movie that most reminds you of the holiday, be it about a happy family or a dysfunctional one or, um, even the Plantagenets. Listen to Judy Garland's version of HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS. Watch Charlie Brown try and save that pathetic, little tree. Go to church, if you do that. Go shopping, if you do that.



I know that I've not been in the best of moods lately. Working retail in December can make you long desperately for some month that isn't insane, and you start to think that people have lost complete sense of their priorities when they're yelling at family and making themselves crazy just to assure that they have all their gifts.

Still, if you spend some time over the weekend singing a song, giving a dollar to the people ringing the bells from the Salvation Army, enjoying the look and feel of winter clothing and getting the opportunity to be around people you really enjoy, you'll feel better.

Thanks, guys, for what you contribute to my life. (And forgive that for coming out so saccharine. I don't know what's come over me.)

I hope you all make it the best day.

No comments: