Tuesday, January 27, 2004

I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing.

I hooked up with a really nice, cute guy named Steven whom I met in a bar called Miss Q's. I was there with Larry and David, and I was playing trivia. And he walked in, and he was really cute. And I looked at Larry, and I said, "He has great eyebrows."

And I looked at him like five times. And he was looking at me.

And Steven walked right up to me, but this guy broke in front of him - though Steven wasn't walking to the empty seat next to mine - and asked me if the seat was taken. I said no to the guy who wasn't Steven, and guy who wasn't Steven sat next to me.

And Steven goes and sits next to David, and I use that as an excuse to include him in a giant chat with Larry and David. And Steven starts talking about New York and how he doesn't play trivia.

Then, I talk to Larry and to the bartender. And I see Steven ask David questions, and I hear Steven say to David, "Your friend is cute."

I looked at Larry and said, "I'm ignoring that. I'm ignoring that."

And I keep playing trivia, but Steven and I keep talking.

So, it's me sitting next to Larry, who's sitting next to David, who's sitting next to Steven - who's 29, an undergrad student at Georgia State in public relations. I told Steven that I graduated in journalism from UGA. And we keep talking.

So Steven asks David and Larry to move down one seat so that he can sit next to me. And I'm still acting cool - even though he essentially moved my friends to give himself space next to me.

Cute guy. Really cute. He smokes, but, omigosh, he was cute.

And we're talking about drinks. For some reason, he was doing shots of Goldschlager. Apparently, he'd been having a bad night.

Steven starts to tell me about why he's still an undergrad. It turns out that he's on assistance because he has a disability called - get this - cerebral palsy. And he starts to caution me, saying, "It's really mild."

Oh. My. God.

"I have the SAME THING," I said.

"Huh?" Steven asks me.

"Cerebral palsy," I said. "I have a really mild case of that, too."

He just sorta pauses. And then, and this was great, he says, "Prove it. Walk."

And I show him how my arm won't straighten, how my left hand fingers have little dexterity and then I do the walk.

So then, I have him do the same thing.

And the people in the bar, not all of them aware of what we're talking about, start watching us as we walk for each other.

Anyway, we're talking, and I'm being understanding. And he's upset about his day, but he feels comfortable talking to me. So he says I should give him a ride home.

But I didn't drive. So he asks me if he can drive me. And I make sure he's finished with the shots of Goldschlager. (He'd had two.)

And Larry and David get up to go, and I said, "I'll see you guys later."

So they leave me there with Steven, who lives two minutes away from Miss Q's. He asks me to go home with him for chat - and to have coffee.

I got home at 1:30 a.m. - and I felt bad because I had to wake Steven up so that he'd drive me back to my car. But I wanted to talk to him about stuff, tell him more of who I was.

And I had to work in the morning.

But Steven still owes me coffee. And he told me to call him sometime in the next two days.

No comments: