Friday, October 03, 2003

Publish or perish.

Motivated by the Buford High School reunion site that I run with my friends Dena and CJ in preparation for our 10-year, which is sometime next year, someone posted an application questionnaire for The WB's "High School Reunion" reality show. And I filled out some of the questions and posted it on the reunion message board.

People liked it, saying I should put it toward the show. But, instead, I pitched them a joke of an idea for our own "Survivor"-like "High School Reunion" show, set on a houseboat in the middle of Lake Lanier near our hometown. I said that we'd only be able to shop for food once a day and that the only place we could shop for food would be the Tote-a-Poke, a real country-and-ghetto convenience store in the middle of our hometown.

The people on the message board have been hassling me ever since, saying that the idea is hilarious and that I should both continue the story and try to sell it to Hollywood.

But it's not exactly an original idea, and it's filled with in-jokes. And lots of friends from the site are telling me that I'm talented and smart.

But I know that I can do better than that. And I know that publishers are harder to impress.

I feel like, in regard to my writing, one day I will inevitably publish ... probably, but I think I need some more experience before I do that. Also, I think I need a couple great ideas if I'm going to even attempt this.

I can't tell if I'm being wisely reluctant or just masking that I'm scared I'm not good enough. I realize I have to try to publish, but I don't feel confident enough about it yet.

I mean, I want to be surefire, a strong candidate that no one can reasonably say no to.

Some people think I'm already at that point. But I don't.

No comments: