Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Kacoon's Mom, Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.



Kacoon's mom, Kathy, once shared a joint with David Bowie. When she was relating that story to me sometime last year, she let on something else.

"He was a very nice young man," she said. "And we stood outside smoking, and he gave me a kiss."

It was the early '70s. He was on his first record tour or on some introductory tour or something. Kathy was married to her first husband (though both of her husbands were in radio), and, if she was then what she is now, was humble, smart, approachable and attractive.

So David Bowie kissed her.

Kacoon hadn't heard that part of the story until she heard it related to me, and her reaction was mild shock. Since Midget was with us, though, and he wondered who David Bowie was and why that man would kiss his Granny, we let the topic drop.

Still, when I see Kathy (and I haven't in a while), I try to see who she was, alongside who she is now.

No comments: