Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Tales of the cube.



So my friend Lisa just quit her job at my office to go work for our competition, and I guess I'm sorta happy for her. The new girl at the office came over to my cube yesterday and yelled at me because I made a mistake that my manager told me was relatively minor. But the new girl yelled at me. And I'm stuck at my office because I do have more work to do, but I'm also waiting for Edmondson to finish work so that we can go see OLDBOY.

Yesterday was tough. Today was really boring. I'm drowning in paper, and the idea that someone else got to leave here just made me, um, kinda jealous. I know I could leave my job. Both my jobs. Hypothetically.

Of course, when I found out that Lisa was essentially going to do the same job at a different company (and it's impossible for any of us to explain in under five minutes what exactly our job is), I lost my jealousy. If I left this line of work, I'd sincerely want to do something completely different. I'd want to work in the arts or something, do work that I actually enjoyed.

Meanwhile, the class really liked - or seemed to like - the chapters I gave them last week. One person told me that the first chapter featured too much exposition, but a friend at the Margaret Mitchell House told me not to change anything, at this point. She said to just keep writing, to just keep moving the story forward. So that's what I'm going to do. (Of course, since the next chapter's going to be written in the voice of my mother and feature a miracle, it's been a bit more difficult to get my head around it. But, if you haven't read it and aren't in my head, then you don't know what I'm talking about.)

I e-mailed Chris from Freshman English. I saw him when I went back to the puppet show. He was nice to me and asked me what I've been writing lately. Cool guy.

I was mean to Poli Sci Guy about his unpublished novel that he's been "finishing" for about a year. The way he talks about his book, dare I admit it, comes off as obnoxious, so I told him that he probably lacked confidence in his work since he never showed it to anyone. Which, when it comes down to it, is mean of me and unnecessary. (I told Marley what I did. She fears I'll generate mountains of bad karma and not focus on making myself happy. She's right.)

Oh well. It's late. I should leave work now.

No comments: