Tuesday, July 20, 2004

What to watch.



Incidentally, I've got movies on the brain since Ron and I went to see the better-than-I-thought-it-was-going-to-be-because-Will-Smith-is-butt-naked-in-the-first-two-minutes flick I, ROBOT tonight.

Not a classic, certainly, and not as smart as Asimov. But there were some highlights, and, because Will Smith has apparently been working out, the first two minutes were worth the price of admission.

The previews ahead of I, ROBOT, though, have really inspired me to write some DVD recommendations because I finally got my first glimpse of ALIEN VS. PREDATOR, which I will be seeing opening day in spite of how terrible or great the reviews for it might be. Ever since Jenipher started me on the ALIEN films, I've been a fan.

Stating that, I must recommend my favorite film from the series for those who want a refresher before ALIEN VS. PREDATOR hits theaters.



ALIENS was recommended to me when I was a teen by Jenipher - whose father took her to see it when she was 8. It is the scariest damn movie I've ever seen in my entire life. Seriously. Even though my first viewing was on video in my dark bedroom alone, this movie scared the ever-loving shit out of me.

If you've never seen it, watch it immediately. Watch it in the dark. Watch it by yourself. Try to know as little about it beforehand as possible. It's absolutely horrifying.

Even though it's a sequel, ALIENS is, in my opinion, the best film of the series.

(Of course, I've also seen ALIENS at UGA's Tate Theater during a midnight, weekend screening with 200 heckling fans. Watching it then, it was hilarious. But, the first time I watched it, I was seriously freaked out.)



This HBO miniseries, which garnered about 20 Emmy nominations and received Emmy nominations for all its main cast (not that Emmy nods mean anything, really), comes out on DVD in September. But I've already ordered a copy of it because ANGELS IN AMERICA is great, compelling stuff.

And Patrick Wilson is really hot in it.



Oh, and I bought a cheap used DVD copy of MATCHSTICK MEN tonight on a whim while I was waiting for a haircut. I saw it in the theaters, and you ought to rent it if you haven't seen it. It's a really, really good thriller with a wonderful Nicolas Cage performance and a really great ending.

This concludes my movie buff rant of the evening.

No comments: