Friday, July 02, 2004

Charing Cross



My friend Liz, who's known me since we were in a gifted class together when I was in kindergarten, reads the blog and the REUNION soap I used to write more often.

Reading over my London trip entries here, she was reminded of her own year abroad there. She told me a couple weeks ago that she had some Londonesque things she thought I would like.

The parcel, which I'd forgotten was even coming, arrived yesterday.

Reading through one of them all last night, it reminded me of how I used to view London before I actually made it there and how it fulfilled and exceeded every expectation once I did get there.

I highly recommend the books, mentioned below in the e-mail that I sent her, and I thank Liz again for sending them to me.
_

Elizabeth,

I just devoured 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD, which arrived only a couple hours ago but proved to be a quick, entertaining read.

It made me nostalgic for London and, beyond that, made me recall the times when I wanted so badly to get there but thought it impossible.

My favorite passage in the book, in fact, is the one that Helene cited twice, that the London you want to find is the one you'll find there. That was certainly true of my trip there earlier this year, and I'm incredibly eager to make my way back to it.

I started THE DUCHESS OF BLOOMSBURY, but I can't quite do it again this evening. I should go to sleep, as I have to work in the morning. I did, in that book, read about Helene's initial meeting with Nora, Frank's wife. And I read that Marks & Co. closed its doors before Helene got to see it. That, more than anything, made me sad.

I love you. And I thank you for thinking of me.

I miss London. I really, really miss it. I was only there a week, but, my God, I love who I was there.

Earlier this week, I aggravated the leg injury I got while I was there, and the pain made me oddly nostalgic. I mean, not being able to walk far in my bookstore reminded me of the day that I was stuck in St. James' Park, both unable to move and thankful that I was lucky enough to be in the one place I wanted to be more than anywhere else.

To be hurt is bad. To be so hurt that you take the time to have an ice cream cone in St. James' Park, watching passersby and Buckingham Palace in the distance, was a blessing.

Anyway, I'm going on.

Thank you. Really.

Benj

No comments: