Thursday, September 11, 2003

Remember the fallen. Be prepared.

The signs over the interstate, the ones that usually report traffic accidents or construction delays, have been broadcasting the above message since midnight. It seemed apt to remind everyone to be prepared for when another attack comes. Remind yourself that the nation is never as safe as it seems, I suppose, but how else do you get prepared for another Sept. 11-style attack?

We held a moment of silence at my office today. I find myself singing The Star-Spangled Banner in down moments, trying to get the notes right and failing. (I was never much one for patriotic displays, anyway.)

Someone reminded me of a feeling I had that day two years ago, when all the false reports and all the true reports were coming in. It felt then as though nuclear war or some other apocalypse was upon us. The world changed.

Now I'm sure that the day doesn't hold for me as much impact or sorrow as it did last year. As time moves forward, we all must, as well.

I don't know how "prepared" that makes me. But I don't really know how to prepare.

No comments: