Wednesday, September 17, 2003

8 Simple Rules for Destroying a Family Sitcom.



Hearing about ABC's wrong-headed decision to continue the annoying sitcom "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter" even though the show's star (and the central focus of its main premise) dropped dead last week, I've come up with an idea for how the show can continue to be funny even though John Ritter is now worm food.

Death jokes. Lots of them.

Imagine the oldest slutty daughter, realizing now that her beloved dad will never dance with her at her wedding or be there to give her away.

"He said I could only see Ryan 'over his dead body,'" the slutty girl would say. "So I guess it's all right to call him up for a date now."

"Ooh, slutty girl, you've got me as stiff as your father!" a potential suitor might say.

"Dad's last words to me were, 'Don't do that ... EVER!' So I'm asking you, Mom, if that agreement's binding," the nerdy girl would say.

Of course, the show should also fill in the gaps by bringing on the typical sitcom grandparents, the typical "Aunt Sandy" character who is brought in to help "raise" the kids right.

I give the "revamped" show until April before ABC, ahem, pulls the plug.

No comments: