Monday, September 22, 2003

A movie that makes you want to drink.

To give you an idea of how good LOST IN TRANSLATION is, I almost saw it in the theater a second time right after I watched it the first time. Instead, I've decided to catch it sometime later this week.

It's funny, occasionally very funny. It's gorgeous to look at, and some shots seem directly lifted from a postcard collection from Tokyo. Bill Murray's absolutely terrific in it. And Scarlett Johansson's character is so fully realized that I wanted to give her a big hug.

Instead of watching the movie again, I went to a bar for a quiet night with a glass of scotch. (Of course, that got out of control, but my intentions were for a quiet night by myself with a good glass of scotch. Not two glasses of scotch and a cute guy with a dated haircut who smoked too much staring at me and kissing me.)

Anyway, the ending of the movie is smart.

No comments: