Monday, October 18, 2004

Reunited.



My ten-year reunion went very well, I think.

We had a decent turnout at the homecoming game, where I was able to recognize all but one classmate, the girl who "went with" me for one day during sixth grade. She's jarringly gained quite a bit of weight since high school, but she was still very sweet to me. It was good to see her.

The main event on Saturday was a lot of fun, for the decorations were nice, the festivities weren't out-of-control AND I was dressed so well that several people complimented me. (When I told a handful of them that I'd gotten my navy blue, pinstriped Jos. A. Bank suit secondhand from a church rummage sale in Ohio for four dollars, they were shocked. Seriously, I wore a four-dollar suit to my reunion.)

Lori-Never-Left-Her-Mother's-House, a girl who had a massive crush on me in high school, told me four times that I looked "hot." Another girl, the fundamentalist preacher's daughter-turned-wild child, kept grabbing me by my tie and pulling me toward her, putting my face into her neck, when she wasn't chasing around every camera in the room to show how hot she's become.

Vic, who showed at the reunion after I essentially badgered her with phone calls, even told me that I looked good.

Hopefully, I remembered to smile in photos, rather than awkwardly half-smiling.

The afterparty took place at a bar in Buford called 37 Main, and it was a cool bar. It was also, to my surprise, the bar that my mom and stepfather had chosen to go to on Saturday night.

So they were sitting at a table by the front door while all my classmates, the majority of whom went from mildly buzzed to sick-as-hell-drunk by the end of the night, frolicked and made fools of themselves.

So I'd mingle a bit, then I would go to my mother, and she'd give me all the good gossipy stuff that she'd seen.

"Your friend CJ is high on something, I think. And he's not allowed to smoke in here. And he stole my seat to talk to your stepfather and put his cigarette out in my iced tea."

"Melissa just got sick all over the street, and now she's laying down on the sidewalk. Isn't her husband a police officer?"

"Who was that girl who grabbed you by the tie and pulled you into her neck? Dana? Did she kiss you? Her boobs are practically hanging out."

"That girl Crystal just pulled a guy into the ladies room."

"Brooke looks like she can barely walk. She should know to take off those shoes if she's gonna drink that much."


Since I, of course, couldn't get too drunk or hit on anyone in Buford or in front of my mother, I left the reunion around midnight, called up Hennessy and met him out at a bar called Felix's - which is where I saw Charlie with glitter on his face.

And that four-dollar suit really worked well for me this weekend. It helped me look good, misbehave, have my reunion and not embarrass the hell out of myself in front of my mother.

Thank you, Church Rummage Sale!

No comments: