Friday, October 01, 2004

Jenipher's imaginary debate party.

Jenipher and I spoke on the phone yesterday, and she asked me if I was going to watch the first presidential debate because her father insisted that we all catch "the most important political event of our time, one that will shape the future."

Jenipher said that she'd only wished she had time to arrange a dinner party for the whole thing. But I see that not having any actual guests or an actual party didn't stop her imagination.

She wrote this:

Did you watch the debates? My Debate Party was awesome! I took my cue from the foreign policy agenda and all our guests dressed up as their favorite world leader. I served a great Taliban Potato Salad with WMD BLTs and had this drink that when you added ice, it had a kind of fog/mist effect to represent the chemical gassing inflicted by Saddam Hussein on his people. It was really festive.


As for the debate, I did watch it, and I thought it was great TV. Both candidates were occasionally vicious toward one another, and they were, I thought, clearly divided on the issues regarding Iraq and the "war on terror" that the kids are so keen on these days.

I know it was a foreign policy debate and all, but Bush mentioned Iraq's election so much that I thought he might actually be running for president of that nation instead of ours.

No comments: