Thursday, June 03, 2004

Sad news for Atlanta cinema.



Oh my God, the Madstone has closed. I mean, it's gone. Gone.

The Madstone was, for a time, my favorite movie theater in the entire city. When I lived outside of the Perimeter, it was the place that I would go for a surge of culture and intelligent art.

It was the place where I saw an Almodovar film, a Terrence Malick classic and "X2 - X-Men United" all in one week.

I tried to hold my birthday party there last year when they were screening "Donnie Darko."

I even met Marley there.

I attended two Q&As there, both of them excellent. One was with Kevin Smith, and the other was with Richard Kelly, the director of "Donnie Darko."

Because I'd not been going as much since my move - and because my disaster date with Christopher the concierge there made me change my moviegoing habits, I didn't renew my membership last week.

The last movies I saw there were "Jersey Girl" and "The Dreamers."

The "Jersey Girl" experience, aside from the Kevin Smith Q&A, was just a nightmare.

And now, the whole theater's just GONE.

And that just sucks.

Goodbye, Madstone. I loved you when.

No comments: