Friday, June 18, 2004

Revisiting romance.



In preparation for the upcoming sequel, I rewatched "Before Sunrise" last night, reminding myself of why I love that movie so much.

There's no plot. It just follows two kids, played by Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke, in a very natural scenario in which they, being strangers, get off a train together and have a conversation that lasts one long night. It's a rambling, cerebral conversation, but, as it occurs, they find themselves sorta falling in love.

On Valentine's Day, I said "Before Sunrise" is one of my favorite movie romances.

I had a relationship like theirs once, and "Before Sunrise" always reminds me of it. It gives me this warm, chatty feeling.

The sequel, which was made because the filmmakers and actors wanted to return to the story (not because the first film - a cult fave - made money), takes place nine years later and deals with an hour-and-a-half conversation between the same characters, examining whether they still have the same spark they did during that one night.

It's like a big "What if?" answer. Like, "What if you got another chance with the one who got away?" But, like the first film, "Before Sunset" isn't supposed to be as sappy as the concept sounds.

It opens in a couple weeks.

No comments: