Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Sayonara, Plastic!

I paid my past due balance on my American Express card today, thanks to incremental payments and some help from some wonderful friends and family. The American Express people are also owed thanks ... for not turning my account over to some loan shark named Vito intent on breaking my kneecaps.

I was going to cut it up. Seriously. I was going to cut it up, pay it off and close the damn account. I may still.

Anything to keep me from using it. Because I overuse it. Because I'm in a store almost everyday, and you can't help but browse the aisles as you help others find their books, music and movies. (Hell, the store discount's half of the reason I got a job there.)

But, wavering, I've decided that it'd be good to have an emergency credit card in case my car catches on fire or something. I'm going to put it on a shelf somewhere. Somewhere high. Beyond reach. Out of mind. Not an option.

To be corny, I've got to leave home without it, at least.

But maybe I should cut it up.

Damn it.

I don't know what to do.

No comments: