Monday, August 23, 2004

Bookshelf.

It's been weeks since I gave a proper update, as any good book salesman should, of what I'm currently reading, eagerly awaiting and hearing about.



I picked this book up a couple weeks ago at the bookstore after reading some reviews, and it's fairly light and only a little creepy, even though it's narrated by a deranged serial killer who hacks a priest to death in the first chapter. Reading it, I was surprised to realize that it was my first serial killer novel, for I never finished any of the Thomas Harris books I started when I was in high school.

People like Kacoon may not like "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" because it's not bloody enough. Kacoon once recommended Poppy Z. Brite's "Exquisite Corpse" to me, calling it beautiful and disgusting. I couldn't do it. The idea of a teen gay boy getting raped, cut apart and eaten was too much for me, even if Kacoon says the descriptions are really, really pretty.



My cousin and her husband recommended this to me at my family reunion, and they were among the dozen people to do so. When I was in London in April, this was advertised on the walls of all the tube stations, as well, so it's got that coolness factor. And it's selling incredibly well at my store, even if the cover to the American version is a lot tamer than the British version.

Reading the plot synopsis, I didn't know if I'd be able to identify with the narrator, who is an autistic boy unable to cope with regular emotions, by my cousin's husband, a high school English teacher, says it's a great book and a good mystery.

I've already gotten myself a copy, and I got Vic a copy of it for her birthday Saturday. So I'll find out probably before I read it what she thought about it.



Of course, Vic - in between getting older and getting herself a cute, official boyfriend - is currently reading this Michael Cunningham book, which I had shipped to her after Kurt recommended it to me.

Since both Vic and I read Cunningham's "The Hours" and loved it, I've been trying to make sure that, among the two of us, we have copies of all of his fiction.

Of course, Vic's not the only one I've bought books for.



Before Harrison left the bookstore for our rival down the street, I gave him a copy of this book, which is one of my personal favorites and the one I share with most smart, gay men who haven't already read it. It's not just a gay book, certainly, but I liked that aspect of it a lot. (I'm snobbish and try to avoid "gay books," yet I claim to be able to write one. Isn't that fake of me?)

I started "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh" in 2000, and I think I've bought four copies of it for people since then. I buy it almost as much as I buy "Good Omens" or "The Secret History" for people.



Since it is my dream to next travel to France with Miss Gibson, I bought this book, which came recommended from my UGA film prof Dr. Neupert. He told me that I'd like Gopnik's American-in-Paris sensibility, and I thought Miss Gibson might like it because it was cultured, non-fiction and mentioned the word "colonialization" in its synopsis. I've never bought a book for Miss Gibson before, I fear, not even when I was over visiting. (Then, though, I brought her contraband Girl Scout Cookies, but that's hardly an excuse. I buy books for people, and I should not have neglected her.)

Just a couple weeks ago, I bought Larry a copy of Jeffrey Eugenides' "Middlesex" because he was going on a long trip. Midway through his trip, I ended up on the phone with him, and he told me that it was one of the best books he'd read in years. I tried reading it a couple years ago, but I found it too difficult and weird at the time. But I'm fickle like that.



This book, which comes out next week and caught my attention because it's already on a bestseller list, is my next buy, in all likelihood, though I already shop too much. The website for it is just neat, and the plot synopsis sounds really different, a bit British, a bit magical and rather intriguing. Plus, the first-time author has received advance praise and special attention from Neil Gaiman, which is always a good sign when it comes to a fantasy novel.

I sent out e-mails recommending "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" to everyone, even though I've not even seen the book yet. I have a hunch that it's going to be big.

No comments: