Friday, April 08, 2005

I want to lock it all up in my pocket. It's my bar of chocolate.



No matter how much I thought I might be disappointed by two films coming out soon, the humor and look of the ads for both "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" have me really, really eager to see them.

"Charlie," in particular, looks like wicked fun.



I loved those Roald Dahl books when I was a kid, and I've been reading some of his short stories lately. I love how violent and dark he wasn't afraid to get. I mean, most of the kids in "Charlie" ended up either horribly deformed or dangerously close to death by the end of that book, and the original movie didn't disappoint in leaving them that way. It looks like the second one will certainly follow suit.

Looking through some images of the movie, I saw that they've reinstated the squirrel nut-sorting room, which is where Veruca gets hers in the book. It gives me hope for the movie.

I wonder if Tim Burton's going to let us see Mike Teevee after he's been subjected to Wonka's taffy pull. The other movie avoided that, for it sounded gruesome. I hope they do it. I hope they do it.

(The ads for "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" look great, too, but I've seen too many of those great-looking ads turn into disappointing films to hold out much hope for George Lucas. I'm keeping my expectations low, and I hope to be pleasantly surprised when I see it ... at midnight on opening night.)

No comments: