Sunday, January 02, 2005

The jackpot question in advance.

For New Year's, I went out with CJ and Solenn. I wore a funny hat. I hit on a guy who looked a little like Lupo. (I'm a sucker for boys in glasses.) And I watched in mock horror as Solenn confronted a man who'd just had a quickie in a bar ladies' room.

"Happy New Year," he said to her as he stepped out of the lavatory.

"Looks like it was for you," Solenn said to him. "You took that girl into the bathroom for five minutes."

I was standing next to her, and it wasn't until then that I really paid attention to her conversation.

"Geriatric condition," he said with an annoyed look on his face. If she hadn't been a woman, he'd have punched her.

"What?" she asked him.

"I have a geriatric condition; I can't go to the bathroom myself," he said.

Solenn was about to ask him again, but I stopped her.

"We get it," I said. "It's OK."

Two hours later, Solenn realized the guy had been lying.

At the restaurant earlier, CJ and Solenn talked to me extensively until I talked to a guy at a nearby table.

His name was Graham. He was a software engineer. He's probably not going to call me, but he was cute and polite. And it went about as well as it could have, except I should've just stayed for about two minutes and given him my phone number before talking to him too much.

Confidence. It's closer.

No comments: