Thursday, January 27, 2005

Ask for the Wolfman.



One year ago this week, Gallery Furniture's "Wolfman" - of the famous local "Wolfman and Donna" ad campaign - died.

For those of you who don't know, the Wolfman owned a chain of furniture stores. One in College Park, the other in Gainesville. Sometime in the '80s, when I was growing up, the Wolfman's daughter Donna started appearing alongside him in the ads.

And, in the ads, they'd fight over who got to say the closing line.

It was either "Ask for the Wolfman!" or "Ask for Donna!"

If it sounds really silly to you, trust me, it was.

When I heard about it on January 26, 2004, I e-mailed my friend Jenipher to give her the sad, sad news. Jenipher moved to Chicago (and away from Gallery Furniture) over five years ago, but the news still rocked her to her core.

She kept the resulting e-mail exchange, and, in honor of the Wolfman, I present it to you now.
__________

RILEY: The Wolfman from Gallery Furniture apparently died this weekend. I thought you might want to know.
JENIPHER: Arrrrghhh!!! Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I met Donna once ... I went there looking for a coat rack. It was a very special day.
RILEY: I recalled the day that you met Donna. Thus, I felt the need to break the news to you.
JENIPHER: I hope I can make it through the day.
RILEY: But Jenny, now all you have to do, if you're ever feeling down or feeling as though your furniture's not quite right, just ask - silently as though in prayer - for the Wolfman. And I'm sure that, no matter what plane of existence he's on, he'll be there for you.
JENIPHER: I’ll have to ask for Donna now ... once I leave this world, I’ll be able to ask for the Wolfman.
RILEY: He's probably helping Jesus pick out a dinette set for $59 in that great big Gallery Furniture in the sky.

No comments: