Friday, January 02, 2009

New year.

He told me to take what he was saying at face value and not to worry about it having anything to do with me or anything that I had done, which made me worry about what I might have done to lead him to say that.

Hours later, he said I was making things worse in the exact way he told me not to. He said that my means of trying to solve every problem was just a matter of my being a brat who always had to get their way. He said that, if people continually call you melodramatic or too fucked-up to deal with, it's probably true. He said you can't go back and call it a problem that you have if you're not willing to take steps - like therapy - to try and fix it. If you are unwilling to fix the problem, you don't get the benefit of using your personality problems as a crutch.

It's not all about you, he said. You're not as good a person as you think you are, he said. He was right. He is right.

I kept making it worse by saying stupid, obnoxious, self-involved asides. We went to sleep, and, when I woke up, I was afraid to say anything at all. So, in the living room, we tossed around a football.

Once upon a time, I didn't think I would ever see him again. Then I saw him again. Then I saw him again. Then we fought, and I thought I would never see him again. Then I saw him again. Then I saw him again.

No comments: