Friday, July 14, 2006

Things to do with an AK-47.



- So my friend Kenn is finishing up his master's in furniture design at Savannah College of Art and Design, and his thesis show closes this weekend. So I'm venturing down to the coast to see it - and see Kenn and Lupo before they flee Savannah, which they hate, forever. One of the central pieces that Kenn's been working on since October, at least, is this love seat that I've been calling "the bullet couch." If I remember correctly, Kenn designed the couch, then bought an AK-47, shot at the couch, then sealed up the bullet holes. The number of bullet holes in the love seat reflects the exact number of gun deaths in America within one day, I think. (I'm not sure if I have the base time correct. Nonetheless, the whole thing is anti-gun and infuses a political statement into practical design. It sounds daring and over-the-top, and Kenn's ridiculously talented.) Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the bullet couch to share. This is an earlier project he did through the program. I'm probably not doing Kenn's work justice. Perhaps a follow-up blog will be necessary after my trip this weekend.



- YOU, ME AND DUPREE looks stupid, and Owen Wilson is ugly. He should just write movies, not appear in them. His brother Luke is super cute. And just because Kate Hudson looks like her mother, does that mean we have to watch her in movies? I mean, she's made ONE good movie, and that's it. I wish she'd go away. Thinking about this movie puts me in a bad mood.
- A lot of customers in the bookstore highly recommend Ken Follett's THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH to me, but I don't think I'd like it because it sounds really, really religious.



- Lupo and I have discussed going to a revival house on Saturday to see SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, which is a great, great movie if you haven't seen it. Gene Kelly is amazing. Jean Hagen is hilarious. And Debbie Reynolds is charming. The American Film Institute, ranking the best American films of all time, named SINGIN' IN THE RAIN the 10th greatest, which surprised me until I watched it again.
- Another AFI movie list suggested that Billy Wilder's genius film SOME LIKE IT HOT, starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon, was the funniest film ever made. Again, if you've never seen it, you're missing out. THIS WEEK'S QUESTION: What's the funniest movie you've ever seen?

No comments: