Friday, June 16, 2006

Things to do the week I turn 30.



- Yep, come this year's first day of summer, my Gemini-Cancer cusp ass escapes the tumultuous twenties. And I've decided to do a number of things about it, during it, for it and about it. This is good. This is really good.
- After a most excellent trip out-of-town toward people I felt connections with and a job search that is bearing more fruit than any other search I've attempted in six years and a slow dance with a cute guy have shown me that I still have lots of untapped potential happiness within me, I have decided - brace yourself - to like myself and enjoy the funny little things that I do.
- My scarce writings of the last month have reminded me of the "mental regression" chapters in FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON. This shall not continue.
- Went with my friend Dena to the launch party for Emily Giffin's really good new book BABY PROOF, a chick lit novel that dares to have its heroine not want to have kids with Mr. Right. The party and its crab puffs and Amaretto Sours ruled, though it was very Buckhead Betty. We walked in, amidst about 100-150 fans, and Emily saw me and took the time to give me a personal hello, which impressed the heck out of Dena. And then Emily's dad told me to call him by his first name. And then her husband and I debated how damn good the new book is. And then her cute, well-dressed St. Martin's publicist named (cough) Stephen (cough) said to me, "Oh, you're Benjamin! She talks about you a lot. It's nice to finally meet you." Anyway, Dena went home after the party, where she read the first two chapters of BABY PROOF, and ordered all Emily's paperbacks to read.
- Five of my close friends are in Europe now, so there will be no cool, butter-creme-frosted cakes this year. I wish I could say that they took me with them so that I could finally see Paris, but there's always next year. Actually, I have the rest of my life.



- THE LAKE HOUSE actually sounds really interesting, and I (ahem) like Sandra Bullock in romantic movies. It has a better premise than Keanu's SWEET NOVEMBER, and it's based upon a supposedly sad Japanese movie. And it's my birthday week. So yay. (One time, my friend Vic and I saw Sandra Bullock stumbling around drunk atop a float at Mardi Gras in New Orleans.)
- I've been coughing at work everyday. I think I'm allergic to my job. Either that, or I've followed the Emily Dickinson stereotype and become a writer with tuberculosis.
- I can't decide if I should read RABBIT, RUN or some other book from the New York Times' list of the greatest books of the last 25 years. It's either RABBIT, RUN or the new Nick Hornby novel about suicide. I keep waffling, but I think I should read something deep.
- An ink pen just exploded all over me. I am naked and speckled blue.
- I don't want to see THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT. I've actually never seen a F&F movie ever, even though I think Paul Walker is hot. Frankly, I feel old just knowing that funny-voiced kid from SLING BLADE and Lil' Bow Wow are both driving age.



- Saw THE OMEN with my friend Kacoon, then lied and told her that Damien reminded me of her little boy. About THE OMEN, though, Mia Farrow RULES.



- I will leave my job. I will leave my job. I've gotten in the habit of humming "I'm Checkin' Out" from POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE to myself. I like that song. Speaking of Meryl Streep songs, has anybody here seen my hero Robert Altman's A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION yet? I really want to see it, and I know nothing about Garrison Keillor. And it's not just because Lindsay Lohan plays Meryl's daughter in it.
- I didn't get to tape THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA off of PBS this week. Did anybody tape it? I really want to see it, and I'm afraid Tony Award-winning lead actress Victoria Clark won't come with the touring company to Atlanta, even though she's not exactly famous.



- Oh, did you see LaChanze won a Tony for THE COLOR PURPLE? I met her when she was doing the show at the Alliance in Atlanta. She came into my bookstore to buy an Alice Walker book that she'd ordered, but her order didn't come in. Stalling for time while trying to track the book, I asked her if she'd seen THE COLOR PURPLE at the Alliance. She said that she was in it. "Who do you play?" I asked. "Celie," she said. I freaked the hell out, asked her about the show, told her that I'd heard really good things about it from friends. She showed me a piece of purple jewelry that Alice Walker had personally given her. Now, she's got a Tony. I haven't written the Great American Novel yet. Heck, I've not written a good American sentence in a while. Anyway, good for her, for she was nice. And my moment will come.
- On my actual birthday, my friend Vic and I are enjoying a rare evening alone with one another. She got me tickets to see CHICAGO at the Fox. I think it's got Peterman from SEINFELD, the guy who lost DANCING WITH THE STARS to Kelly Monaco, in it. The show and the time with my friend is gonna be great, and I'm really excited about it. She and I haven't been to the Fox alone together since we saw THE NUTCRACKER there in 1998, I think. We love the Fox.
- I miss my blog. I miss you guys. I want to reconnect with people I enjoy. I want to be happy. It is my goal.
- Of the summer movies I've seen so far, I found X-MEN: THE LAST STAND to be the most satisfying, M-I:3 to be the most mindless, THE DA VINCI CODE to be the most boring and talky, CARS to be the most disappointing and POSEIDON to be the most stupid fun (even though the gay Richard Dreyfuss character totally should've hit on every hot, drenched guy in that upside-down boat ... and it really, really needed Shelley Winters in it). I've not seen THE BREAK-UP, though I was told to avoid it. I want to see AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH. I'm excited about SUPERMAN RETURNS on IMAX, that movie MONSTER HOUSE and, of course, SNAKES ON A PLANE. THIS WEEK'S QUESTION: What do you think of this summer's entertainment thus far? Any good movies? Any good TV? Any good European nations you've visited on your honeymoon? What are you looking forward to?

No comments: